Emotional eating feeds uncomfortable emotions instead of actual hunger which quickly leads to weight management problems and obesity. We quickly learn that food can give us short term good feelings however this can prevent us from developing healthier strategies to deal with those uncomfortable emotions. Depression, boredom, loneliness, anger, anxiety, frustration, stress, relationship problems and low self-esteem can all cause overeating and weight problems.
What Are Your Eating Triggers?
What triggers you to eat? Here are the main five situations or emotions that cause people to overeat –
- SOCIAL – are you encouraged to eat by spouses, friends, family, etc.?
- EMOTIONAL – stress, boredom, frustration, tension, depression, anger, anxiety, loneliness and other similar emotions can cause you to eat to “fill the gap”
- SITUATIONAL – eating because the opportunity presents itself. Examples would be watching TV, going to the movies, seeing an advertisement, etc.
- THOUGHTS – thinking negative thoughts about yourself, your body, your lack of willpower, etc. can trigger you to overeat.
- PHYSIOLOGICAL – Do you skip meals and then eat too much because of the increased hunger you then feel as a result? Do you eat to overcome headaches, pain, etc.?
Overcoming Emotional Eating
The world-famous HYPNOBAND programme can help you to overcome emotional eating by giving you other alternative behaviours to overcome uncomfortable emotions without resorting to food. Throughout the HYPNOBAND programme, we will also address any low self-esteem issues, and poor body image, and help you to think more positively about yourself.
Find Out More About HYPNOBAND
- Sugar Addiction - August 2, 2012
- Weight Management - July 22, 2012
- Wedding Weight Loss - July 20, 2012
- Binge-Eating - July 13, 2012
- Chocolate Addiction - June 25, 2012
- Gastric Band - June 21, 2012
- Exercise - June 18, 2012
- How Do I Lose Weight - May 15, 2012
- Motivation - May 9, 2012
- How To Lose Weight - May 2, 2012